Brag Enterprises Ltd
Role – Community Growing Tutor
Salary: £15,000 – £15,709 (Depending on experience)
Rewards info: generous holiday entitlement, pension scheme (with 7.5% employer contribution) and optional group health cover. Flexible working arrangements.
Status: 21 hours per week (average per week). Mainly evenings and weekends with one day a week midweek
Closing date: 9:00am Monday 4th March 2024
Location: Crosshill Community Enterprise Centre, Main Street, Crosshill KY58BJ
BRAG currently operate a Food for Thought programme here at Crosshill and have secured funding for this new complementary project. Community Roots is an innovative project that seeks to improve connections between members of our community in Benarty through the medium of growing. This support will primarily be carried out in our polytunnel and communal garden environment. People will be supported to grow communal produce for themselves and others whilst also learning to grow for themselves.
The overall objectives of the project are to:
- Create a community growing space that provides fresh and affordable produce for the pantry, foodbank and their own use. The intention is that produce grown in the community growing space is then made available within our internal pantry service called Pantry@BRAG.
- Create a training and test space for people to learn and test peoples growing abilities, where they can have a trial grow before they commit to growing in their own garden and on a secondary level, the ability for local people and volunteers to work outside knowing they will be helping others supporting wider community engagement and participation.
- Provide the facilities, resources, training, and inspiration to encourage local people to grow and eat locally produced fruit and vegetables, helping them save money.
- Create volunteering and educational opportunities, encouraging greater inter-generational community involvement and increased confidence levels for those involved.
- Deal with issues of social isolation and loneliness for those who may want to volunteer in the garden as part of some personal recovery. The space will also be used to engage and train our employability trainees.
- The post holder will also support and manage our nearby allotment space.
You will be a fun, friendly and confident character with experience in supporting individuals in a growing environment. Its Essential that you have the skills to manage a wide-ranging workload against competing priorities and experience of delivering a variety of horticultural activities to either young people and/or adults. You will have clear and concise written and spoken communication skills along with excellent planning and organisational skills. Knowledge of Health & Safety and Risk Assessment processes is also central to safe service delivery, and we need someone who is the consummate professional.
A relevant qualification in the relevant field along with LANTRA training would be desirable. More importantly we need someone who is a Team player with strong personal values that align with our own.
A willingness to work flexibly is a key requirement. Most of the hours being worked will be evenings and weekends. We think that working during the summer growing season is critical to the success of this program as this is when locals and volunteers may only be available. We think it may work better for someone who wants to work part time or has another mid-week commitment.
BRAG Enterprises is Fife based charity that supports people, who in the main, who are residing in disadvantaged areas of Fife to gain the training and employability skills to enable them to move into sustainable employment. We have worked for over 30 years with communities to improve their economic resilience.
Please find the job description, person specification and application pack below.
Job Description – Click here
Person Specification – Click here
Application Pack – Click here